Volunteer for Dolphins – best reason to help & volunteer for threatened dolphin population
You’re a perfect volunteer for us if you:
– admire the sea,
– love animals… especially dolphins and marine life
– are looking for a new knowledge, experiences in marine biology, mixed with a hint of adventure to add to your CV.
As a volunteer with Vivamar,
you’ll help with conservation and research of the last resident dolphins in the Northern Adriatic Sea. By working closely with marine biologists, volunteers get hands-on experience in dolphin research. Volunteers are also directly involved in dolphin data collection, dolphin identification, dolphin social bonds, analysis of dolphin data and community outreach volunteer activities.
The important data are collected also with volunteer help
The important scientific data allows people and all stakeholders to learn more about the dolphin sub-population. This means that researchers can do more to protect these animals even with volunteer help in supervised data collection. Without the crucial baseline information, it is impossible to lobby for implementing the needed changes to protect these last marine mammals and to mitigate the potential human pressure on dolphins.
Research of Bottlenose Dolphins since 2001
Vivamar has researched the common bottlenose dolphin population in Slovenia and along the west coast of Istria in Croatia since 2001. Due to a 50% decline in the dolphin population over the last 5 decades and losing two dolphin species from the area in the same time window, Vivamar focuses on how we can keep our bottlenose dolphins from disappearing from the area as well. We mean it when we say that YOU, even being a volunteer, can make such a big difference by volunteering!
This can be a life changing and most beautiful experience in someone’s life. Our mornings will be spent learning about data collection and dolphin identification and volunteer afternoons have us out mostly in the field – in the sea!
Check out our dolphin volunteer video to see exactly what we get up to in the summer months:
So, what are the advantages of joining Vivamar compared to all other similar projects out there?
Vivamar offers to its volunteers a variety of perks ranging from special financing to various excursions that help you connect better with our dolphins and the area.
- Pay in two rates. Vivamar offers to volunteers the possibility of paying in 2 parts, with the 2nd rate payable four weeks before your arrival.
- Swim in the clear blue Adriatic Sea in your free time! Just two minutes walk from the research base volunteers can enjoy snorkeling and observing the incredible marine underwater world! Therefore volunteers will not be strictly occupied all the days with (fun) work for dolphins. You’ll also have some time to relax or explore.
- Visit National Park’s Kamenjak or Brioni (copayment). Vivamar team can take you to one of these natural beauties if you’re up for it.
- Visit a Tuscany like city (alternative to the previous point). Within the program, volunteers have a chance to visit Motovun, a town very much resembling Tuscany.
- If landing in Venice… Venice might be many times arrival or departure Airport for our volunteers. In addition to cheap connections to the other continents, volunteers have this way the opportunity to visit this inspiring water city… One of the most beautiful towns in Europe.